Wednesday, January 29, 2020

This is the story of Yu Timah.


This is the story of Yu Tin. Who is she? Yu Timah is our neighbor. He is one of the recipients of the Cash Direct Subsidies (SLT) program which is now over. Four times receiving SLT for one year the amount of money received by Tim Tim from the government was Rp. 1.2 million. Yu Timah is a true SLT recipient. So his house has a dirt floor, walled with woven bamboo, does not have its own well. Even the status of the land occupied by Yu Timah's hut is not his own. Yu Timah was in his fifties, thin and not married.
Perhaps because of his thin body condition, very poor, plus orphans since childhood, Yu Timah did not attract any man. Be Yu Tin spinster until now. He is alone. Previously, after teenager Yu Timah worked as a housemaid in Jakarta. However, as his age continued to increase, Yu Timah's energy did not sell well in the domestic servant market. He returned to our village. The neighbors worked together to make a hut for Yu Timah with his mother who was very old. The hut was built on neighboring land that was willing to accommodate the children and mother who was very poor.
Although his life is very poor, Yu Timah wants to be independent. So he sells rice packs. Permanent buyers are students who are boarding at our village boarding school. Of course the results are not much. But Yu Tin survived. And in fact he can live for years with his mother.
After his mother died Yu Timah raised a nephew. He financed the child to finish elementary school. But this is what age. The child must find food. So he sucked in the trade flow of domestic servants and again stranded in Jakarta. For the last four years, Yu Timah has returned to living alone and making ends meet by selling rice packs. Fortunately in our village there is a small pesantren. The students were farmers' children who used to eat rice like what Yu Timah had sold.
Yesterday Yu Timah came to my house. I already thought he would want to talk about savings. This is great. As poor as it was, Yu Timah was still able to save money in the Islamic people's credit bank where I took part as an administrator. But Yu Timah never wanted to come to the office. He said, embarrassed because he was poor and illiterate. He saves Rp 5,000 or Rp 10 thousand every month. But after becoming a recipient of SLT, Yu Timah can deposit savings of up to Rp. 250 thousand. And since then I saw Yu Timah wearing a gold ring. Yeah, gold. For someone like Yu Timah, a gold pin on the finger is a matter of raising self-esteem. Yu Timah's last balance was IDR 650 thousand.
Yu Timah used to sit away when faced with me. In fact, I want to kneel on the floor, but I always prevent.
"Sir, I want to take savings," said Yu Timah in a small voice.
"Oh, sure you can. But it's Saturday and it's afternoon. Our bank is closed. How about Monday? "
"Monday is also okay. I am not in a hurry. "
"How many do you want to take?" I asked.
"Six hundred thousand, sir."
"How come so many. For what, Yu? "
Yu Timah did not immediately answer. Head down, smiling shyly.
"I want to buy a sacrificial goat, sir. If I add six hundred thousand to my money, it's enough to buy one goat. "
I know Yu Timah is really waiting for my response. He even repeated the words because I was still silent. Because I didn't give a response for a long time, maybe Yu Timah thought I wouldn't give the money. Even though I was silent for a long time because I was very impressed by Yu Timah's desire to buy a sacrificial goat.
"Yes, Yu. On Monday, Yu Timah's money will be given at six hundred thousand. But Yu, actually you don't have to sacrifice. Yu Timah is even obliged to accept sacrifices from our more well-known relatives. So, is Yu Timah's intentions really unanimous about to buy sacrificial goats? "
"Yes sir. I am unanimous. I really want to sacrifice. During this time, I was only a recipient But now I want to be a sacrifice of meat. "
"Fine, Yu. I will get your money tomorrow at our bank. "
Yu Tin's face is bright. His smile is cheerful. His eyes sparkle. Then excuse myself, and with long steps Yu Timah went home.
After Yu Timah left, I was stunned by myself. When did Yu Timah hear, understand, appreciate, then internalize the teachings of the sacrifice left by Prophet Ibrahim? Why can a person who is so layman have such sincerity that he is willing to sacrifice almost all his wealth? This question arises because in general the expensive pilgrimage does not change the character of the person.
Maybe I do too. Ah, Yu Timah, I'm so embarrassed. You who have not made the pilgrimage, or will never make the pilgrimage, but you have become a person who likes to sacrifice. You are very poor, but you don't buy good food, television or good clothes. Instead, you buy a sacrificial goat. Yes, Tin Yu. Even though I was forbidden by doctors from eating goat meat, this time I would break it. I want to enjoy your goat's meat that seems to smell heaven. Hopefully you go before you go on the pilgrimage.

Better to give than receive

No comments:

Post a Comment